Don't let a lack of "experience" intimidate you!

I have a page on Quora where I answer people who have career questions.  The reason why I do it is to share my knowledge with others who may not know what to do and/or can't necessarily afford my services. I get questions many times from people from other questions who don't have access to many of the things that we have in America.  This is my way of giving back.  I thought I'd share one of my responses with you.  This writer wanted to know how to write a resume if they were inexperienced.

What is the best way to write a resume as an unexperienced worker?

Writing a resume can be difficult for those who have much experience so it can feel impossible for those who have limited experience. Note that I said “limited” experience. We each have something that we do that we’re good at. Also, note that I said “feel” impossible. The truth is it’s not. The key is finding someone who wants what we have or who can use your skills.

Don’t get caught up in how the resume looks or fancy designs. The key is the content. That is what will get you hired!

First, do a skills inventory of all the things you are really good at that can benefit an organization. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, just start listing all of the things you are good at. Maybe you’re a good writer, or you don’t mind doing dishes, or you’re a dynamite cleaner, or you're great with gardening. It doesn’t matter just list it. Then make a list of companies or places that can use those skills. For example, don’t mind doing dishes - restaurants, hotels, nursing homes etc…. Someone has a need for just about everything.

When writing your resume, target it to the position you are interested in; for example, “Dishwasher.” Then look up job descriptions or vacancy announcement for a dishwasher. Once you find it, take special note of what the vacancy announcement lists as responsibilities, qualifications, and requirements. Then give them what they want. Share your “story.” Begin to draft your accomplishment statements for the position. A fantastic accomplishment statement answers the three questions: What you did, how you did and the result. The result should include metrics.


For example:

Doubled the number of dishes washed in half the time by adding a homemade remedy that cuts grease quicker. - (How did we do with the answer to the three questions with metrics? )

If you were a hiring manager, would this statement intrigue you enough to bring this person in? If for nothing else, I’d want to know the “homemade remedy.” plus if I could get more done in half the time, I’d want to know. It would be a cost saver!

Not sure you could do that? Sure you can! here is a link to a free video that will help you: NetKi Enterprises Boutique. Scroll down to view the video. Begin writing your own statements and then prepare to add them to your resume.

This is where the resume format will come in, as shared there are many resources for design templates and formats - including at my site at the link above. If you are looking for a free template, there are many or you can simply use one directly from Microsoft. Start writing your resume.

Don’t be intimidated if you don’t have “formal” experience or any challenge that may come your way. Just ask yourself the question: How do I achieve more experience? One way is to volunteer! Small business owners would be thrilled to exchange experience for your volunteering. Remember there is always a resolution, just seek solutions. It may not be easy, but the goal isn’t for “easy” but to solve the problem.

I hope this answered your question. Good Luck! 

To follow me on Quora or read more of my responses, you can go to my Quora page.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make your Resume stand out by Covering these Seven Areas

How to Tank an Interview that You Prepared for

Do you really need a new position or actually need a new perspective?